Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Making it Work

Hi everyone!
Been a very successful week in many ways… The class I am taking currently for my graduate program is learning how to counsel people struggling with addiction and I am not only learning a ton, but my major project has worked hand in hand with my weight loss! Our biggest assignment is to abstain from all mood altering substances (caffeine, alcohol, etc.) and any self identified "excessive behaviors" we struggle with for a total of 2 and a half weeks. Therefore, I have given up all alcohol (which I was trying to do anyway for right now because it is empty calories), caffeine, refined/excess sugar, and going to get fast food. I am happy to report that I have totally stuck to it for the most party and only slipped a little on the caffeine (which is hard to do when you have a summer class which you have lots of reading and homework in!). I am proud to report that I lost another 3 and half pounds this week which means I have lost all of the weight I had put back on before my lap band adjustment :)

I have been eating healthy and making meals ahead of time as well as packing portioned lunches. I found some great containers at Ross that help keep myself portioned for snacks as well! I have not eaten any fast food since my "incident" with the mini pizza hut pizza 2 weeks ago and do not plan on it.  I have been swimming laps when I can, but with being so busy with school and work, I have been having to get creative such as going on long walks with the baby I nanny for while he naps in stroller or taking walks on my breaks from class. As I mentioned last week or the week before, my wedding date is officially booked which is really exciting and even more motivation to get healthy.

On a more somber note, I found out that the father of a little boy I nannied for up until I moved to Denver this past January suddenly passed from a massive heart attack… It is tragic because he was only 57 and his son, Gavi, is only 2 years old :( He also has two children my age… this horrible tragedy has been a grave reminder that life is short and sweet and to live it to the fullest and love with your full heart and appreciate your loves ones everyday. I want to again say thank you to all my friends and family that have continually supported me through this weight loss journey (and throughout my life) and how much I love and appreciate you all. This is also a reminder that health is so important… The man who passed was incredibly healthy, active, and took care of himself and yet he still passed. Being as I am also adopted and do not know my genetic history, I would like to give myself every benefit I can to ensure my health for a long long time which means shedding this weight for good and keeping it off.

Thank you all so much again!
Love
Caroline

1 comment:

Add a comment!!