Sunday, April 19, 2015

Beating Temptation, Swimming, and Instant Karma :)

Hey there!
Hope you all had a great weekend. Saturday I had a great day with my fiancé because it was the first "day off" we have both had together in a long time. We went to Boulder to do a cake testing with the bakery we are using for the wedding then walked around outside on Pearl street window shopping while the weather was nice for an hour or so. The cake testing was a real test of control for me, because the woman put out large pieces of cake for each flavor for us to sample. As I have talked about in other posts, sweets seem to really upset my stomach right now. Knowing this, I put a small piece of each cake flavor in my mouth and tasted it, but then spit each of them back out into a napkin (I explained my surgery to woman beforehand so she wouldn't think I was a freak of nature and totally rude!). In my head, I wanted nothing more than to eat huge bites of each delicious flavor and swallow it all, but obviously this is 1. physically impossible right now and 2. would do way more damage than the few seconds of bliss would be worth. It was actually rather empowering to be able to spit the cake out and have control.
Day together in Boulder with my fiancé!! :)

Tonight I went swimming at the gym for the third time since surgery and I was able to swim for 65 minutes which was awesome! I was only planning on swimming for 35, but had the energy and felt motivated to do more so I did. My swimsuits are all worn out at this point and don't quite fit right, so I tried to find a new one at Sports Authority, but the only size 20 swimsuit they had fit horribly and was holding anything together like it should :/ My temporary solution is to wear an old swimsuit and then wear a sports bra on top of it so it holds the girls in. I am going to look online and perhaps order one there…. There are plenty of cute swimsuits at plus size stores, but none of them are conducive to swimming laps (they are more for looking cute). I will let you know when I find one!

So here is a hilarious story that happened shortly after I got out of the pool… So after swimming I showered and was getting dressed in the locker room and these three 13 or 14 year old girls walk by me and start mooing. I turn around and begin laughing thinking to myself "just wait a decade you little shits you won't be a size zero either". Then they do the same thing to another heavy woman who turns around, stops dressing herself and sits down in the bench and starts sobbing. The girls booked it out of the locker room and I attempted to console the woman. The woman had a medical condition which required her to take meds that made her put on weight and she was already very self conscious of this.
After making sure the woman was no longer sobbing and OK, I walk outside to head to my car and see the three girls waiting on the curb presumably for a ride. I give them the stink eye and begin walking to my car when I see a van pull up. I thought to myself, I bet their ride would love to hear about how these girls treated people in the locker room. I run to the car and knock on the window and a middle aged woman rolled down her window confused.
I told her that I was sorry to bother her but that the three girls that just got in her van were harassing overweight women in the locker room and made someone cry. The woman's jaw dropped and before any of the girls could say anything she started yelling at them saying she couldn't believe how disrespectful they were then she made EACH of them apologize to me. She then told them that she was bringing them home now instead of to a movie and that one of them (I assume her daughter) was grounded. She then apologized to me and said she would take care of it and gave me her number to call if I ever saw them acting like that again in the locker room.
I thanked the woman and they drove off and I just smiled and waved. Moral of the story is that it doesn't pay to be an asshole! What an awesome mother for reacting the way she did. I bet those little shits will think twice about harassing anyone again (at least at lifetime gym!!!)

I feel lucky that at this point I can let things like that roll off my back and not bother me, but then again I have grown a thick skin at this point AND have the advantage of having extensive schooling and training to be a therapist so have techniques for coping with crap like this. This encounter just furthers my interest in working with teenagers as a therapist because I work well with this group… I am able to put up with their selfishness, obnoxious behavior, and comments, but not let it bother me (but I won't let them get away with it either!! ;)

Anyway, I have been taking magnesium potassium vitamin pills and this has really been helping regulate my digestive system etc. and I am really looking forward to my weigh in in the morning. Talk to you all tomorrow!

Warmly
Caroline


3 comments:

  1. Great post. Swimming, willpower and instant Karma!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay. Stupid question, but when you say you swim is it doing laps? I have an in ground pool in my yard so it would be really easy to swim once the weather gets a little warmer, but the idea of just doing laps seems so boring, but I know it's awesome exercise. Any tips on how to keep it interesting? I am so glad you said something to the adult picking up those girls. Hopefully they will think twice before being assholes again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not a stupid question Bonnie! Yes, I was swimming laps. It really is awesome exercise because puts no pressure on your joints and you are fighting buoyancy instead of gravity (which as an obese woman is magical!). I don't find it boring but if you like music there are tons of mp3 players for swimmers for around 120 bucks that make it more fun! I also love deep water aerobics which is more fun and still burns great calories. If you can find a class at a rec center near you I highly recommend it!

    ReplyDelete

Add a comment!!