Monday, April 13, 2015

Weekend Update and Weekly Weigh In

Hey there
Hope you all had a great weekend. This weekend was my last crazy weekend class and it was actually kind of bittersweet... It was my family techniques class that I have had once a month fridays 5pm to 10pm and saturdays 8am to 5pm which was really intense, but I learned so so much and got a lot of actual counseling practice and role-play in. At the end of saturday, we did a really cool activity where we wrote down our name on a piece of paper, and then passed that piece of paper around and everyone else (including my teacher) had to write one word to describe that person. After everyone put a word on the paper, we got them back and it was really cool to see what everyone had written. Sometimes, despite my accomplishments etc. I can get really down on myself for my weight and I am scared that it conveys to other people. It was really awesome to see that my peers think I am bold, creative, strong, and encouraging :) I am definitely saving this piece of paper to pull out on a rainy day where I feel like crap about myself!
                              Very cool closing activity :) Love what my peers wrote about me!

Sunday I took it easy and caught up on schoolwork, then went on a date with my fiancé Steve (which we haven't done since my surgery!). It was really nice to spend some quality one on one time with him and he cooked me dinner (we had chicken tacos and I ate the meat without the tortilla).
Family time!

So this morning I was looking forward to getting on the scale, because I have been fast walking like crazy and still sticking my soft diet. When I got on the scale, it was 269.0, which was actually kind of disappointing :( I weighed in at 270.6 last week, so thats about a pound and a half, but I truly thought I would have been down to at least 267lbs with how much exercise I have been getting in. I am trying not to get too focused on the exact number and just be happy that the number is going in the right direction, but it is still really frustrating. One thing I forgot to post about my doc appointment I had last week is that my bariatric doc told me to get off the Miralax because he said laxatives are bad for gastric sleeve patients because 1. It forces food faster through the system and doesn't allow for full absorption of nutrients (which is already not as good bc of small tummy) and 2. Because I could become dependent on using laxatives as the only way to have a BM. Per his instructions, I stopped taking Miralax on wednesday, and starting using what he recommended which is a probiotic and a fiber supplement. Unfortunately, I still have not had a BM since getting off Miralax which is now a full 6 days. I am hoping that this is contributing to my disappointing weigh in, but regardless will keep trucking on and doing what I am supposed to be.
Down 1.6lbs from last week (last week I weighed 270.6 lbs)

Although I have been fast walking a lot, I have really wanted to start jogging again. I did track and cross country in middle school and some of high school, and used to really enjoy running/jogging. Today I went around Sloan's Lake with the baby I nanny for (something I try to do at least 3 times a week), but mixed jogging in with fast walking. I could only really jog for a full 60 seconds at a time, but I tried to do 60 seconds of jogging, 4 min walking, 60 seconds jogging, 4 minutes walking etc. Overall time is slower than on my own regardless because pushing the stroller at the same time and making sure baby is entertained if he isn't napping, but I am going to continue to increase the interval of jogging to try to get to at least be able to jog a full mile again. 
Walk/Jog around Sloan's Lake today

Today I bought a new multivitamin at GNC because I have been finding that the chewable big nasty bariatric ones are making me nauseous, and I am at the point where swallowing pills are no big deal. I saw a product I definitely want to try when I am eventually on normal foods which is PROTEIN CHIPS!! 120 calories for an entire bag and 20 grams of whey protein… yum! Obviously will be an every once and a while thing, but cool to see that people are making more protein snack options. If they taste good will be the question ;).

Anyway, I am not going to let this weigh in get me down and continue to push on, exercise, portion and eat right, and get through the rest of the semester. Talk to you all soon!

Warmly
Caroline



4 comments:

  1. In addition to the reasons your dr gave, Miralax and some other laxatives have been shown to cause cognitive impairments. No joking, when I read that I got off the Miralax REALLY quick. I used to drink it every morning in my protein coffee.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Scary, Hollee! Thanks for letting me know.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good going, stick to the eating plan and exercise daily and you will hit your goal.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was frustrating when I had the band and saw that pretty much everyone was losing faster than me. I have a feeling even with the sleevel I will lose slower than most. I think part of it is that I don't have a lot of muscle - which I definitely need to work on - but even when I was younger I never lost weight quickly. The scale can be my best friend or my worst enemy. Sounds like you are doing everything you are supposed to do so don't let the scale bum you out. (Of course it's so much easier to say than to feel). XO

    ReplyDelete

Add a comment!!