Thursday, April 9, 2015

First Post Op Doc Appointment and First Dumping Syndrome Incident

Hey there…
Yesterday I had my first post op visit with my bariatric doctor and it went really great. My incisions look awesome (he went back through the incisions I had from lap band in 2012) and are healing really well. He cleared me for swimming and more/other exercise, which is awesome. He is usually kind of a stoic guy, so it felt really great to hear him tell me I was "doing great kiddo" and have him assure me that I was right on track. I have been keeping a little notebook with me and writing down everything I have been putting in my body and logging my exercise, so I showed him that too.

On a less positive note, I have been totally overwhelmed by the insane amount of projects and papers I have due for graduate school this month… I am seriously feeling the crunch and stress and feel totally overwhelmed with working, going to school, finishing all these assignments and trying to get some self care in somewhere. Yesterday I was particularly exhausted and needed a pick me up before meeting with a group for class... I ended up trying what I thought would be delicious… coffee AND protein! It was WAAAY too sweet for me, and about a quarter way through the drink I felt sick to my stomach and put it down.

                                                                       Never again!!

Within about twenty minutes, I suddenly felt nauseous, dizzy, and broke out into a sweat. I couldn't even drink water without still feeling nauseous. After about 30 minutes of this, I felt a little better and figured that hopefully everything would now be OK. Unfortunately, two hours later I began dry heaving, my stomach was killing me, and I felt weak, sick, and completely nauseated again. I now realize that this was probably dumping syndrome. Because such a large portion of my stomach was removed, things like sugar move much more quickly or "dump" into the intestines very quickly and can cause these types of reactions. Before surgery, this drink would not have tasted too sweet for me, but I now know from this incident that I cannot drink things this sweet. I felt sick pretty much the rest of the night, and was able to get some watered down crystal light and anti-nausea medication down the hatch before calling it a night and going to sleep.

I felt all better this morning when I woke up, but unfortunately got a devastating phone call from a friend's mother that my friend had passed away :( My friend Brandy had cerebral palsy and her mother was told when she was 2 years old that she probably would not live to be 10 due to the severity of her condition and other confounding medical problems. Brandy not only lived to be 10, but overcome all odds and lived to celebrate her 29th birthday in March. She often had seizures, and she had a series of them in a row that her body just couldn't handle. I am heartbroken by this news, but also so so grateful for the time I had with her and all of the memories we shared and am glad she is no longer in pain. I can still see her sweet smile when I close my eyes and know that she is still smiling, now from above.

Have a good rest of the week.

Warmly
Caroline




4 comments:

  1. So sorry to hear about your friend. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never experienced dumping but then my Diet has always been low carb. Learning your tolerances is a learning experience. My condolences on the loss of your friend :-(
    Dee
    KajunGumbo.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Caroline,

    First, I just want to say that I'm so sorry to hear about your friend. It is never easy to lose someone, but it helps when you know that they will have no more suffering.

    And... dumping is the worst. I dump when I have either dairy or too much sugar. Imagine the devastation for an ice cream lover like me. When my band was not allowing me to eat food, I often ate frozen greek yogurt. No more of that. Within 10 mins of having something I shouldn't, I get dizzy, nauseated, and break out in awful sweats. You definitely had a dumping episode. :(

    ReplyDelete

Add a comment!!